In my Yellow River post, Barbara asked me what my next project would be. I mentioned that I needed to fix the fluorescent light in my closet, but I have been hesitant to do so. You see, I want to fix the light after my absolute best day ever so if I get electrocuted, I will at least go out on a good day. I have never changed a light fixture by myself before, so I guess it’s back to YouTube for a good tutorial and also back to the large chain hardware depot store to ask seemingly experts in orange aprons how exactly I should accomplish this task. Of course I then wonder if these orange apron employees are really knowledgeable folks or just people who get a good laugh out of misinforming clueless customers such as myself and then imagining the mayhem that ensues after they go off the clock and I head to my project.
My research tells me that changing a light fixture is as simple as turning off the electricity to my closet, matching the colors of the wires, and screwing in the fixture. But doubts ensue. What if I’m colorblind and don’t know it? What if I mix up my righty-tighty and lefty-loosey? What if I get dizzy from the thrill of DIY victory and fall off the ladder? All of these things could happen.
Since I haven’t had my best day ever which would involve losing 25 pounds, having a date with Brendan Fraser, and twirling my baton again in my favorite sequin majorette outfit with authentic white go-go boots, I decided to proceed with the task of changing the light anyway.
I had my almost best day breakfast of Cap’n Crunch cereal and a peach. I then checked my color vision by coordinating a few outfits in my closet and feeling somewhat satisfied that I could match the wires in the lights, I headed up the ladder.
Don’t ask why because I can’t remember why, but I actually have a headband light. I put that on and I was in business. It also glows red. Not sure of the function of that.
Here is the old fixture. I have already taken off the cover, taken out the lights, and am ready to unscrew it from the ceiling. The picture is rather dark because it is rather dark in my closet with out a light, hence the purpose of this project.
Then, I am stopped in my tracks. Can we add any more danger to this day? What exactly causes the risk of fire? Putting in the light? Messing up the wiring? Using the light for a prolonged period? Who knows? I’m thinking it’s yet another example of someone getting a good laugh out of sneaking in a few stickers.
Finally I get the light up after an extra visit to the hardware store for shorter screws and also after getting a helping hand from Davis to hold the fixture while I screwed on the caps to the wires.
This picture is also a little dark because this time the camera adjusted for its wonderful and amazing and totally working brightness. Yay me!