My colleague and friend, Cindy, sent out a soup recipe at work. I thought it sounded good so we made it tonight for dinner. I made a few changes to the recipe but I think that’s what makes it a good one because you can modify it easily to suit your personal tastes. I also made half the recipe for a 4 people and there was plenty.
Italian Sausage Soup
- 1 lb. Italian sausage (I actually used cooked, diced chicken instead)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped coarsely
- 1 -2 cloves minced garlic (1 teaspoon)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil (or 1/2 tablespoon dried basil)
- 1 can Italian tomatoes
- 2 cans Great Northern Beans
- 1 fresh zucchini, sliced and quartered in to small pieces
- 2 cans beef broth (I used chicken broth to go with the chicken)
- black pepper to taste
- (No salt – the broth and sausage are salty enough)
- 1 small package fresh or frozen chopped spinach
We served it with cornbread and it was great. Cindy often sends us wonderful recipes and resources. She is a great cook and great friend to all. She brought me a delicious broccoli casserole last year when I had my surgery. We race each other to work each morning as we live only one street apart. Thank you, Cindy for this delicious supper idea.